I saw some of my friends do a post similar to this, and I was checking my archives and as it turned out, I haven’t really made a list like this in my past years of book blogging. Since this book blog has been feeling a little bit lonely lately, So I figure I’d write something like this. And yeah, maybe do a check on my goals, too, to see if I am still sort of on track. :)
Best Books of 2013 (So Far):
In no particular order:
- Life of Pi by Yann Martel: “The ending left meâ€¦reeling. A friend told me about the twist in the story, but I wanted to be surprised and boy was I surprised. I couldnâ€™t wrap my head around it for a while, and I had my first case of a book hangover for the year, which was extended right after watching the movie.”
- The Book Thief by Markus Zusak: “One last thing: I hope that when Death comes for me, heâ€™ll find my soul sitting up.“
- Iscariot: A Novel of Judas by Tosca Lee: “Would there have been redemption for Judas, if he had just waited? Could he have become someone like Peter, who denied Jesus but accepted mercy which led him to become the great church leader that he is? If he had just waited until Sunday, would he have believed that Jesus was indeed the person he had been waiting for his entire life?”
- 84, Charing Cross Road by Helene Hanff: “If you happen to pass by 84 Charing Cross Road, kiss it for me? I owe it so much.“
- What We Talk About When We Talk About Love by Raymond Carver: “Because really, what do people talk about when they talk about love? My friends and I do this a lot, and while we all have these ideas and dreams and everything, I donâ€™t think we will ever grasp what love really is about. The best we can do, I think, is try.”
- Icon of the Indecisive by Mina V. Esguerra: “Letâ€™s just say this book had meâ€¦er, squeeing more than half the time. Hee. There were many, many things I wanted to ask at the end of the second book, but Iâ€™m very glad to report that this third book delivers.”
2013 Goals Checkpoint:
- 52 Books – upped to 75, when I realized that I will probably reach 52 a bit earlier. Then I got into a reading slump. Heh. But I am at 38 books now, and Goodreads tells me I am 1 book ahead. So yay.
- 5 Classics – 1 out of 5. Eep. I have to catch up.
- 4 Chunksters – 2 out of 4. Reading my third this month!
- 20 Filipino Books – 10 out of 20. Good job, self. *pats*
- Required Reading – I am surprisingly managing this well. There were some books that I postponed reading (for the future (hello, May books), but other than that, I think I hit my monthly goals quite well.
- The Reread Factor – I’ve reread several books but I didn’t get to review them. Oops. Maybe next time. :)
I don’t review all the books I read now because sometimes I get too lazy to review and by the time I realized that I should review it, it’s been too long and I can’t remember what to write anymore. So…there. But don’t worry, this blog isn’t going anywhere. :D I’m just a little busy with other life things. :)
Happy reading for the rest of 2013!