2010 is definitely an awesome year for my reading and blogging, particularly book blogging. After years of trying to figure out a niche blog, I finally found it. :) I realizedÂ that I love reading and writing about books is one of the most fun things I’ve decided to do this year. :)
But there are more, obviously, but it really wouldn’t have been possible if it wasn’t for the blog. And for other things. :) Here’s are my Top 10 Blogging and Reading Highlights for 2010. :)
1. Writing for The POC – Talk about a dream come true: getting paid to read and review books. When Pao emailed me to be a contributor for our old section, Pinoy Pop, I was excited to be on board. I really don’t know how qualified I was, but I was glad to be a part of the team. I loved having an excuse to read and review books. I’ve learned so much in writing my reviews when I did my stint at The POC, and I know that it helped me write better reviews. :)
2. Goodreads Second Meet-up – I have been active in Goodreads for the longest time already, but I have never posted much in the groups or interacted with any friends. One day, I just decided to post, and that got me invited to the second meet-up, and the rest is history. :) That was one of the best bookish meet-ups I’ve ever been in.
3. Mockingjay Launch – Of all my years reading, I realize that I’ve never been in an actual book launch. Mockingjay‘s release finally made me attend one, and I wasn’t just a simple spectator, too. :P I was one of the Live Action Role Players, and while we lost miserably, it was actually quite fun. It was also the first time when the Goodreads and Flippers met, had dinner and coffee and talked about so many bookish things, it was almost like paradise inside CBTL. :D
4. 100 Books – When I set out to read 100 books in a year, I had no idea if I would be able to do it. So when I finally realized that I did do it, I couldn’t be more thrilled. Now I feel like 100 books is such a small amount. :P More next year, perhaps?
5. Getting my Kindle – The ultimate bookish toy. :P Just like the iPod, I never thought that I’d give in and get a Kindle, but after a friend told me how awesome it is, I suddenly had a gadget lust. :p After a lot of thinking, I finally gave in and got one…two days before the new one was released. How fun, right? But still, no regrets. I love my Kindle, and it really is the ultimate bookworm toy. :P
6. Filipino Book Bloggers Meet-ups – I used to be very active with the Filipino blogging community back in 2007, but I stopped attending after some time because I felt that it was too big of a community and I don’t know where I fit in. I was really more of a lurker as I kept on blogging and as I started my book blog. However, I found out that the Filipino Book Blogging community is a very warm and welcoming group. This is where I found out that I truly have found my blogging niche. :D
7. Friends opening book blogs – This year is also the year when my good friends opened their own blogs. I don’t know if I influenced them, but whatever made them start, I’m glad they did. :D Shout out to Grace, Aaron, Ariel, Ace, and Jzhun specifically. :D
8. Winning contests and features – I have the worst luck in contests, and I hardly win the things I really want to win. And then I got a lucky streak: I won Dee’s 100+ Follower Giveaway and then I won a signed Being Jamie Baker by Kelly Oram (which I hope arrives soon — postal service during the holidays here kind of suck) a few weeks later. I also got featured in Dee’s Blogger Spotlight, and I find it’s very fun to be featured. :)
9. Author comments and replies on blogs and Twitter. I love getting comments on my blogs, but nothing makes me squee more than author comments. And ever since I made my Twitter profile public, I got more follows on Twitter, and I love it when an author replies to me or mentions me, or follows me on Twitter. It makes reading so much more fun and interactive.
10. Goodreads Filipino Group – I must give another shout out to this, even if I mentioned the first meet-up a few numbers back. They’re really some of the best people I met this year, and I am really, really glad I went to the second meet up even if I had no idea who I would meet there. :) Joining this group made me read more, made me appreciate books more and made me write more. :) They’re probably one of the best reading things that happened to me in 2010. (Awwwww)
What about you? What are your reading or blogging (or both!) highlights for this year? :) Share them in the comments section!
Check out my other 10 for 2010 posts!
10 Favorite Male Characters
10 Favorite Female Characters
10 Favorite Couples
10 Favorite Authors
10 Most Anticipated for 2011
The Anniversary Giveaway is still ongoing! I’m giving away some of my favorite books in 2010! Every comment you leave is one entry — the more comments you leave, the more entries you get! :) Click the image for the mechanics and the list of prizes!
You really love the GR Family! Oooooh that convince me to go and meet up with you guys next year!
I’m expecting you next year ha. :P Don’t be absent!
Whoah! Nice one Tina. While reading your entry, it also makes me look back at 2010 as a bookworm. Two thumbs up! Best recap of the year! hehehehe ^_^
Thanks! 2010 was loads better because I met you guys. :) Here’s to 2011!
Ariel doesn’t know any praise other than “nice one”. Boo, Ariel! :P
So over all, 2010 is a great year for you. Hope a much better year in 2011
Yes it was. I hope 2011 would be as great, or better. :D Thanks!
We did have a good run over at Pinoy Pop didn’t we? Ah, well. Someday, we shall Rise Again! Happy new year Tina :)
Yes we did. Thanks again for having me in the team. :) Happy new year, Pao! :)
Yay for the Mockingjay Launch, getting your own Kindle and Filipino Book Bloggers! :) I feel really bad that I’m not active on Goodreads anymore but I just have my hands full with my blog and the FBB site. I used to be active on several Goodreads groups and now I don’t even get to check the threads.
Oh Chachic *imitating the Lost character’s voice* you have to go back!! We already lack defenders of YA awesomeness there! :P
LOL Aaron. :D
Don’t worry, Chachic. You can still catch up this year. :D
I am not sure if this would go under reading highlights:
1. Finding a Hardbound copy of Graceling by Kristin Cashore at about a third of the local bookstore price!
2. Finding a Hardbound copy of Lost City of Z by David Grann for 100 pesos!
I love hardcovers but I am too much of a cheapskate to pay at regular prices, so discovering these books is a big deal for me, plus my friend would usually spot the good titles first (though she would let me borrow it of course). I used to have the worst luck in bargain book hunting. But not this time. Ha! :P
I wasn’t fond of hard covers when the year started, but now I am. If only they aren’t too expensive.
I hope my luck in bargain book hunting changes this year, though. I have the worst luck there that I end up always getting books in full price. Not that I mind sometimes, though — a friend has a very good philosophy about this: if she buys in Book Sale, she buys too many and end up not reading them. If she buys in normal bookstores, she gets one or two, but she reads them. :P
But then again, there is nothing like finding a good bargain. :D
Pingback: Tweets that mention 10 for 2010: Blogging and Reading Highlights | One More Page -- Topsy.com
Congrats on your reading & blogging highlights :) Here’s hoping to more in 2011!
Some of mine for the year:
– Meeting Miguel Syjuco of Ilustrado fame during his book launch.
– Interviewing Andy Mulligan during the Trash book launch
Great highlights. :D I think I should start attending book launches next year too. It’s always nice to meet authors and have books signed. :)
You have had a great year! Hope next year brings the same or more!
Same to you! :)
I’m part of 5 out of 10 highlights! It is such a great honor!! :) Yeah, the Goodreads Family isn’t really something you can take for granted. I’m glad I am one of the active members of the group! Looking forward for our future adventures!! :)
Woot. Here’s to 2011. :D
I have never been to a GR get together or a blogger get together – it looks like so much fun!
My Goodreads group is super fun, and I’m really glad I got active this year. :)
Gah! *gasp* There is so much Goodreads love in here! â™¥â™¥â™¥
2010 has really been a BIG year for you Tina. And thanks that I and all of us in TFG is a part of it and will continue to be so.
Oh yes, GR love. Hahaha. You guys were one of my favorite parts of 2010. ;) Yihee! Can’t wait to see you guys again. :)
Oh! And before I forgot to mention, yeah I give due credit to you and other friends for prodding me make my own book blog. You really has given me a perspective on blogging and all the while I thought it was difficult but hey, I got my blog up and running. :)
Ok, I’m totally flooding your comments section. Hehe! :D
I haven’t been to a book launch party, but it looks soooo much fun:-O I can’t help laughing:DSo cool that you were a role player, love the pic. Please attend many more launches and post about them:)
I need to attend more Book Launches! That was the only one I attended last year. The Live Action Role Play was fun even if we lost. I knew I had no competitive bone in my body. :P